Nuclear Waste Services has an exciting new opportunity for a Waste Specialist to join its expanding team flexible working from its head office in Harwell, Oxfordshire
As part of this role, you will provide support to the Integrated Waste Management (IWM) delivery team in the delivery of project management and technical delivery activities captured within the wider IWM Programme to enable NDA Group wide benefits to be realised in relation to waste management.
You will also be responsible for leading, managing and supporting the co-ordination of designated work within the IWM delivery team through the scoping, management and execution of work packages and execution of governance activities to support the delivery of the IWMP and NWS mission.
- Manage and deliver IWM enabling technical work packages on a diverse range of waste management issues (including, but not limited to, delivery of reports, technical studies, guidance documents, data analysis, briefing notes, and presentations). This may also include: producing project scopes; developing and maintaining project schedules; undertaking research through specific web searches or document reviews; engagement with supply chain and liaising stakeholders to collate data and information to support the delivery of programme enabling work packages; analysing data and information; preparing and distributing documents to support project workshops; leading or facilitating project workshops; taking notes during project workshops; preparing output reports; and liaising with internal and external stakeholders. Projects or work activities may be self-performed or delivered using contractor resource; and so, work will include the management of supply chain contractors engaged to support project delivery.
- Interface with the wider business groups colleagues to ensure that technical input to specific work tasks is accurate, and to communicate the outputs of these tasks.
- Deputise (where necessary) for the Senior Waste Specialist(s) to support management and execution of IWM packages of work.
- Provide technical project management support to the Programme Manager and Senior Waste Specialist(s) as required.
- Provide support to the delivery of external facing waste management services such as Peer Review / Peer Assist / Peer Learning process. This could include organisation / planning of visits to waste producer sites, participation in and delivery of post-review reports as required.
- Provide support, as required, to the wider IWMP Virtual Programme Management Office in the delivery of programme management activities. This includes execution of systems and processes for the delivery of routine IWM activities including reporting, schedule production and the organisation of meetings / events.
- Assist / lead the development and implementation of new processes / procedures / tools to support IWM and the wider business group.
- Present to industry groups, such as the IWM Industry Forum and participate in cross-industry forums as required.
- Attend customer and stakeholder meetings / conferences / exhibitions as required.
- Act as a point of contact for the IWM Delivery team with internal and external stakeholders.
- To be aware of and abide by the company’s Standards and Expectations
- To consider ED&I in all conversations and interactions, ensuring you treat all individuals equally, respectfully and in line with NWS’s ED&I values.
- Good degree in science or engineering subject.
- Chartered membership status (or working towards it) in relevant professional institute.
- Programme/Project management experience.
- Working knowledge of the inventory of radioactive wastes, including knowledge of the form, characteristics, and hazards of the wastes.
- Good understanding of the requirements for the management, treatment and disposal of radioactive wastes and materials.
- Familiarity with and use of the NDA Value Framework and its application to IWM Programme.
- Working knowledge of NDA’s Strategy Management System process.
- Familiarity with current waste management plans and baselines across the estate (as detailed in Lifetime Plans).
- Proven ability to produce clear, concise written technical work that is appropriate for a range of audiences.
- Ability to communicate at all levels.
- A pragmatic, problem-solving approach, in particular the ability to identify the key issues and distinguish the essential from the ‘nice to have’.
- Willingness to work as a team member and learn new skills.
- The ability to work on parallel tasks, often to tight deadlines.
- On appointment to an RWM, full-time staff are entitled to a generous annual holiday allowance of 38 days’ annual leave. LLWR up to 43 days in addition to a buy/sell scheme
- Rewarding performance (bonus scheme)
- We offer a generous above average pension scheme
- learning and development support
- payment of relevant annual professional subscriptions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Financial advice assistance
- Flexible working
- Extended family-friendly policies
- Cycle to work scheme
- We welcome flexible and agile working practices
- Flexible working requests can be submitted from day 1 of employment
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.